If you have selected BSc Agriculture, this blog is dedicated to you and your future. As you know, India is primarily an agricultural country and with the impetus of farming policies by the government, you will be surprised to know you have high scope for a successful career in private as well as public sector companies. You can even choose a research-based career as a scientist or a teacher or you could be an entrepreneur!
Studying agriculture does not resemble a farming job and you can actually shove the best high paying jobs in the country! The future of B.Sc. Agriculture in India is as bright as other booming careers like Engineering, Healthcare and Data Science. Even agriculture engineering is a booming career in India.
B.Sc. Agriculture: Syllabus covered in the course
1. Basic Science & Humanities
2. Agricultural Economics
3. Agricultural Engineering
4. Agricultural Entomology
6. Agricultural Extension
B.Sc. Agriculture: 14 Subjects included in the course
B.SC Agriculture is a broad field. While graduating in this subject you will be asked to study the following subjects under the course:
1. Plant Biochemistry: This is the study of variant chemical reactions detected in plants, such as respiration, photosynthesis, interactions between different biomolecules and other specific biochemical processes.
Suggested Books: Plant Biochemistry by Dey, Plant Biochemistry: An Introduction (Pb) by Dharmapalan B., Plant Biochemistry by Arunkumar V.
2. Principles of Environments Sciences: This subject is concerned with the relationship among the livings and non-living in the environment and its impact on the environment.
Suggested Books: A Textbook of Environmental Studies (English, Paperback, Asthana D. K.), Environmental Biology (Principles of Ecology) by Verma P.S. and Agarwal V.K., Principles of Environmental Science: Inquiry & Applications (Sie) - Inquiry and Applications by Cunningham William).
3. Applied Mathematics: Applied Mathematics is known as the application of mathematical methods in variants fields like computer science, science, engineering, biology, business, and industry.
Suggested Books: Applied Mathematics- I by R. D. Sharma, Applied Mathematics by Dr. N S Chavan, R C Tiwari, P B Bhatkar, A B Kshatriya, S H Dahale J M Rawal, M B Pujari, P D Kalsait, Applied Mathematics- III by Shyamal Kr. Banerjee (Author), Manish Goyal (Author), N.P. Bali.
4. Educational Psychology: Educational Psychology is concentrated on the issues like learning difficulties, issues among the students with disabilities, social and emotional problems as well as complex developmental disorders.
Suggested Books: Educational Psychology Thirteenth Edition by Anita Woolfolk, Shivani Vij, Fundamentals of Educational Psychology 11th Edition by Girishwar Misra, Arbind Jha, Anita Woolfolk, Essentials of Educational Psychology by S. K. Mangal.
5. Crop Pests and Management: This subject is concerned with pest control and pest management. Students need to learn more about the pests and how they can affect human lives along with their impacts on crops.
Suggested Books: Integrated Production and Pest Management by K. S. S. Nair, Crop Production Systems Management by Gangopadhyay Ajoy, Integrated Pest Management Paperback by M. B., Dhawan, A.K., Singh, Balwinder, Arora, R. Bhullar.
6. Agricultural Marketing: This subject is composed of two words – agriculture and marketing. Agriculture is all about growing crops where Agricultural Marketing covers the process of delivering crops from the fields to the consumers.
Suggested Books: Marketing Agricultural Products by Benjamin Horace Hibbard, Agricultural Marketing Management 01 Edition by Premjit Sharma, Agricultural Marketing System in India by D. Bhagat).
7. Breeding of Field and Horticulture Crops: This particular subject covers Rice varieties, rice breeding, production and culture of wheat, maize, finger millet, vargu, cowpea, pulses, black gram, breeding forage crops, breeding for insect resistance, breeding for abiotic stress resistance and many more.
Suggested Books: Breeding of Perennial Horticultural Crops by S.K Singh, A.K. Goswami, Jai Prakash, Chavlesh Kumar V.B Patel, Growth and Improvement of Horticultural Crops (English, Hardcover, L.C. De), Breeding Field Crops Paperback by John M. Poehlman.
8. Analytical Chemistry: This is another important aspect of environmental protection, which includes name, methodology, and regulations for the contaminants.
Suggested Books: Analytical Chemistry Paperback by G.L.D.Vijaya Prasad, D.Varaprasad Rao, K.Reddy, K.L.N.Sudhakar, C. Krupadanam, Analytical Chemistry, 6ed by Gary D. Christian, Analytical Chemistry by David G.L.
9. Computer Applications: Computer application course is related to software development, software engineering, multimedia systems, artificial intelligence, database management systems, and web-based applications.
Suggested Books: Real Java (Spl. for Java Programmers, M.Tech, MCA, BCA, M.Sc-IT, B.Tech students) by Rajesh K Bansal, A Guide to Kernel Exploitation: Attacking the Core by Perla, Sci Lab - II, (Computer Science & Computer Applications, Paper - IV) B.Sc II-Year IV-Sem (O.U) As per CBCS Syllabus, Latest 2019 Edition.
10. Fundamentals of Information Technology: Fundamentals of Information Technology covers computer, hardware, software, basic IT literacy, and security.
Suggested Books: Fundamentals of Information Technology by Anshuman Sharma, Fundamentals of Information Technology by ITL Education Solutions Limited, Fundamentals of Information Technology by Ravichandran A.
11. Production Economics and Farm Management: This subject is concerned about the application of science and technology in farming and the principles of economics related to this aspect. Also, it covers the management and economy of resources in farming such as labor, land, and capital.
Suggested Books: Economics Of Farm Management In A Global Setting by Olson Et.Al, Economics of Farm Production and Management by V T Raju, Economics Of Agricultural Production And Farm Management by J. M. Dhaka.
12. Plant Biotechnology: This popular subject includes a set of techniques that are required to adopt the specific needs of the plants. The techniques mainly cover breeding healthy plants by improving characters and using plants for specific biomolecule production.
Suggested Books: Plant Biotechnology by Slater, Objective On Plant Biotechnology by M.I. Patel, H.K. Patel, R.K. Kalaria, H.V. Patel, Plant Biotechnology by Paperback, Krishna G.K. A. Elangovan S.Devika.
13. Sericulture: Sericulture is all about silk farming, which is the cultivation of silkworms and production silk from their saliva.
Suggested Books: An Introduction to Sericulture by M. Madan Mohan Rao, Textbook of Sericulture, Apiculture and Entomology P.K. Sehgal, Textbook Of Sericulture, Apiculture And Entomology P.K. Sehgal.
14. Irrigation Water Management: IWM or Irrigation Water Management is all about monitoring the volume and rate of water as per the requirement of the seasonal crop. Water holding capacity of the soil also considered.
Suggested Books: Irrigation and Water Management by Davis Twomey, Irrigation Water Pricing by V.B. Jugale, Irrigation Water Management: Principles and Practice by Majumdar D.K.
B.Sc. Agriculture: Top 10 Colleges in India
1. TAMIL NADU AGRICULTURAL UNIVERSITY
Location: Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Lawley Road, Coimbatore 641003
Course Fee: Rs. 45,925 / year
Contact No.: +91 422 6611200
2. ACHARYA N. G. RANGA AGRICULTURAL UNIVERSITY
Location: Lam, Guntur, Andhra Pradesh - 522 034
Course Fee: Rs. 26,700 / year
Email: email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact No.: 18004250430
3. PUNJAB AGRICULTURAL UNIVERSITY
Location: Ludhiana-141004, Punjab, INDIA
Course Fee: Rs. 58,530 / year
Contact No.: 91-161- 2401960-79
4. ANBIL DHARMALINGAM AGRICULTURAL COLLEGE AND RESEARCH INSTITUTE
Location: Navalur Kuttappattu, Tiruchirappalli 620 027
Course Fee: Rs. 40,825 / year
Contact No.: 0431-2690161 / 0431-2690162
5. GOVIND BALLABH PANT UNIVERSITY OF AGRICULTURE AND TECHNOLOGY
Location: Pantnagar, Udham Singh Nagar, Uttarakhand 263145
Course Fee: Rs. 33,634 / year
Contact No.: 05944-233640 / 7500241033
6. MAHATMA PHULE KRISHI VIDYAPEETH
Location: Ganeshkhind, Pune, Maharashtra 411007, India
Course Fee: Rs. 24,850 / year
Contact No.: 2426243206
7. BIRSA AGRICULTURAL UNIVERSITY
Location: Kanke Patratu Road, Gandhi Nagar, Ranchi, Ramgarh, Jharkhand 834006, India
Course Fee: Rs. 13,500 / year
Contact No.: +91-651-2450832
8. DR. RAJENDRA PRASAD CENTRAL AGRICULTURAL UNIVERSITY
Location: Pusa, Samastipur, Bihar, India, PIN Code - 848 125
Course Fee: Rs. 16,700 / year
Contact No.: 06274 240 226
9. JUNAGADH AGRICULTURAL UNIVERSITY
Location: Vanthali Rd, Moti Baug, Junagadh University, Junagadh, Gujarat 362001, India
Course Fee: Rs. 29,190 / year
Contact No.: +91-285-2672080-90
10. DR DY PATIL COLLEGE OF AGRICULTURE BUSINESS MANAGEMENT
Location: D. Y. Patil Educational Complex, Sector, Pradhikaran, Nigdi, Pune, Maharashtra 411044, India
Course Fee: Rs. 29,190 / year
Email: email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact No.: +91-91-58-19-5999 / 020/27655059
B.Sc. Agriculture: Eligibility
To pursue B.Sc. Agriculture, you need to fulfill the following criteria:
• Students require to complete 10+2 degree from a regular school in Science stream
• Subjects covered in 12th Grade: Chemistry, Physics, and Mathematics/Biology.
However, please note that candidates from states boards that offer intermediate in Agriculture are also eligible. However, based on the admission guidelines of each university, the eligibility criteria could vary.
B.Sc. Agriculture: Admission Process
Universities offering B.Sc. Agriculture either admit candidates based on the marks obtained in the secondary exam or through entrance test.
It is advised to go through the individual institute’s website for admission details like eligibility criteria, course fees, the date for the entrance examination, counseling and admission dates. Application forms are also available in the respective websites.
20 Popular B.Sc. Agriculture entrance exams are as follows:
1. EAMCET: This popular exam is conducted by most of the Agriculture colleges for the admission process.
2. ICAR Entrance Exam: Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) conducts this entrance examination every year for the admission in ICAR Deemed to be Universities and NDRI, Karnal and in Agriculture Universities (bachelor’s degree programs). The exam is held in 49 examination centers/institutes spread all over the country.
3. KEAM: This admission test is conducted for the agriculture degree colleges in Kerala.
4. PAU Entrance Exam: This admission test is conducted every year by the Punjab Agricultural University (PAU).
5. IGKV CET: This admission test is solely conducted by Indira Gandhi Krishi Vishwavidyalay.
6. AGRICET: The Agriculture Common Entrance Test or AGRICET is organized by Acharya NG Ranga Agricultural University. This is one of the most popular Agriculture Entrance Exam for B.Sc. Agriculture courses. This university-level agriculture exam offers questions in Telegu medium.
7. GB Pant University Admissions (GBPUAT): This popular entrance examination is organized by GB Pant University. GBPUAT is conducted in every June. This entry-level examination contains question papers in Hindi and English. Three hours will be allotted to solve the paper.
8. CG Pre-Agriculture Test (PAT): CG PAT or Chhattisgarh Pre Agriculture Test is organized by the CG professional examination board. This state level entrance exam is organized every May.
9. MCAER Common Entrance Test (CET): MCAER CET is organized by MAUEB (Maharashtra Agricultural Universities Examination Board. Many post-graduation examinations are also held by this board.
10. Orissa University of Agriculture and Technology (OUAT): OUAT is starting their admission process for the aspirants who are concerned with B.Sc. Agriculture course. The university is not only a UG course but also PG and programs.
11. MP Pre Agriculture Test (PAT): MP PAT is a state-level exam for variant streams like B.Sc. (Horticulture), B.Sc. (Agriculture), B.Sc. (Forestry) and B.Tech (Agricultural Science). Madhya Pradesh examination board conduct this examination and is considered as the gateway various institutes/colleges in MP offering B.Sc. Agriculture degree.
12. Rajasthan Joint Entrance Test (JET): This is another popular state level joint entrance exam conducted by the Rajasthan board. Rajasthan JET is the gateway for variant agricultural courses, namely B. Tech – Food Technology, B.Sc. Agriculture (Honors), B.SC. Horticulture (Honors), B. Tech Dairy Technology and B. Sc. Forestry (Honors).
13. Uttar Pradesh Combined Agriculture and Technology Entrance Test (UPCATET): This examination also known as UP Combined Agriculture and Technology Entrance Test. This state-level entrance examination is conducted by Narendra Deva University of Agriculture and Technology, Kumarganj, Ayodhya. Uttarpradesh State domicile students get admissions through this exam.
14. Jharkhand Combined Entrance Competitive Examination (JCECE): This is another state level examination conducted by the Jharkhand Combined Entrance Competitive Examination Board. This examination is conducted for the admission of M.B.B.S., Engineering, Agriculture, B.Sc., Forestry, Ayurvedic degree, and Homeopathic degree courses.
15. Uttar Pradesh State Entrance Exam (UPSEE): UPSEE exam is conducted by Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam Technical University Uttar Pradesh, Lucknow. Entrance exams for B.Des, B.Pharma, MCA, B.Tech, and B.Arch are conducted in the month of April.
16. Karnataka Common Entrance Test: KCET or Karnataka Common Entrance Test is generally completed within April month. Almost 2 lakh male and female candidates have appeared in this examination. More than 430 centers arrange the examination across the state.
17. Banaras Hindu University (BHU): BHU is one of the most popular universities among the students. This A grade (accredited by NAAC) university has its own admission entrance for 4 years B.Sc. Agriculture course. Usually, the entrance exam is conducted in the month of May and result in June followed by counseling in July.
18. Delhi University (DU): DU is also offering an undergraduate degree in Agro-Chemical and Pest Control. This is a 3 years degree course is popular among the candidates.
19. Parul University (PU): Parul University is a member of AIU and established in 2015. This rapidly growing university with its cutting-edge infrastructure and laboratory facilities is truly one of its kinds. PU is offering 4 years B.Sc. course in Agriculture. Total fees for the course is 1.20 lakh.
20. Annamalai University: This "A" graded government university is offering 4 years course for B.Sc. in Agriculture + B.Tech. in Environmental Landscape Horticulture. Selected candidates need to undertake 6 semesters (3 semesters faculty of Agriculture and 3 semesters in Nova Scotia Agriculture College, Canada). After completion of 9 semesters, Nova Scotia Agriculture College, Canada will award B. Tech. in Landscape Gardening to the successful candidates.
B.Sc. Agriculture: Jobs
Both the private and public sectors in India have openings for fresh graduates in B.Sc. Agriculture. India is a developing country and hugely dependent on agriculture. Helping farmers is an honor in India since more than 118.7 million are farmers and 144.3 million are agricultural workers which is 31.55% of the total rural population (Census report 2011).
B.Sc. Agriculture students can also find job opportunities in various verticals like research organizations and logistics.
Popular Job Profiles for the B.Sc. Agriculture graduates:
1. Assistant Plantation Manager
2. Agriculture Development Officer
3. Marketing Executive
4. Seed Technologist
5. Rice Breeder
6. Agriculture Technician
7. Agricultural Research Scientist
8. Agriculture Officer
Following are some Government Departments:
1. National Seeds Corporation Limited
2. Food Corporation of India
3. Indian Agricultural Research Institute
4. State Farms Corporation of India
5. National Dairy Development Board
6. Agricultural finance corporations
7. NABARD and other banks
8. Indian Council of Agricultural Research
9. North Eastern Region Agricultural Marketing Corporation
10. Council of Scientific and Industrial Research
Following are some of the Private Job Opportunities:
1. Agriculture Marketing
3. Micro-finance institutions
4. Financial sector with the focus on agriculture
5. Agri-biotech organizations
6. Fertilizer companies
Reputed Agro-companies hiring:
1. Rallies India Limited
2. National Agro Industries
3. DuPont India
4. Advanta Limited
5. Raasi Seeds
6. Phalada Agro Research Foundation Limited.
7. ABT Industries
If you are studying science but do not wish to continue with conventional biology subjects like Physiology, Zoology or Botany in B.Sc., then choosing Agriculture could be a safe career objective with little guidance of Career Aptitude Test.
Hope this blog will help you find the best institute offering B.Sc. Agriculture course and job prospects. Have a query? Drop your message in the comment box or chat with our experts directly.